Currently cooking from: Popoyo, Nicaragua
Total time: 20 minutes
Total prep: 5 minutes
Total cook time: 15 minutes
Total cost per person: $1.29
Total of daily budget left for beer: $18.71
2 Peppers - 0.50 ea.(I use Serrano but you can use can "stuffable" pepper)
Rice - 1/6th bag. - $2.00/bag. = 0.33
Beans - 1/5th (400g)bag- $1.00/bag =0.20
Corn - 1/2 (8.5 oz)can - $1.00/can = 0.50
1 Tomato - 0.20 = 0.20
1/4 can jalapeños (optional) - $1.00/can= 0.25
1/5 white onion- 0.50 = 0.10
salt & pepper
chili flakes to taste (optional)
optional garnish: cilantro, cheese
Note: I used Serrano peppers which pack quite a bit of heat, if sensitive to hot foods I recommend using bell peppers instead.
- Prepare rice on stove top while prepping vegetables.
- Slice off top of pepper, hollow out & set aside.
- Dice tomato, onions, jalapeños and any other vegetables you want in the peppers.
- In a small sauce pan heat a small amount of oil over medium-high heat and add in beans ( either pre cooked, or canned), corn and other chopped vegetables. Sprinkle with cumin, turmeric, chili flakes and salt & pepper to taste.
- When rice is ready, add into pan with vegetables, mix together and turn heat to low.
- Stuff inside of peppers with rice & veg mixture, then quickly either grill or fry till peppers have a light charring on the outside.
- Serve & Enjoy!